Friday, January 27, 2012

Locus interviews Claude Lalumière























Claude Lalumière, author of Objects of Worship and The Door to Lost Pages, gives his insights to Locus:
‘‘As a writer, I’m always interested in things I don’t understand. One of the worst pieces of advice ever given to writers is, ‘Write what you know.’ That’s terrible, awful! It’s very important for me to feel that I’m writing about something other. If I already understand things, why would I want to write about them? I try to write about characters who are very different from me – teenage girls, gay married men, forgotten Jews. And I just try to get into the mindset of somebody other than me. That’s where it becomes fiction, where it becomes something that is beyond self-expression, which I sneer at. Fiction is an attempt at communing with the world, trying to bridge some gap.”

Read the excerpt. The full interview can be found in the January 2012 issue of Locus.

Learn more about Objects of Worship or The Door to Lost Pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment