Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"Moore" Memories from World Horror Con, 2011

Our Marketing Director Matt Moore shares his thoughts:
My experience at World Horror Con was killer.

Living in Ottawa, I don't get to spend as much time with the Toronto contingent of ChiZine Publications as I'd like. So hanging out with Brett, Sandra, the Marshall sisters and the authors is always something I look forward to. Plus, I got to meet Nick Kaufmann and Paul Tremblay, who are super guys.

What surprised me was that even though Brett and Sandra were Guests of Honour, it seemed everyone knew about CZP. It's one thing at a convention in Toronto for us to have large turnout at a party, but for an event in Texas, it was both humbling and exhilarating. One thing that stands out was being in an elevator, a woman saw me carrying a couple of our books and said (with an unmistakeable southern accent) "I love ChiZine Publications. They do great stuff." That did it for me.

I met a lot of great people and saw a lot of great presses in the fight to make it. It's good to know CZP is one of those small presses making a difference and putting out work people love. As a bonus, I get to work with staff and authors I count as good friends and can make me nearly spit my lunch all over Sandra while explaining the rules of Man-Lion-Martini... because a lion can't handle its liquor.

No comments:

Post a Comment