Wednesday, March 23, 2011

McNally Robinson - An Interview with Derryl Murphy


CG: Napier's Bones has one of the most unique and interesting systems of magic I've encountered. What drew you to the idea of mathematics as magic?

DM: Many authors talk about making sure your magic has a system. Frankly, what could be more systematic than mathematics? When my friend Wayne Malkin first showed me a picture of Napier's Bones from a book about a collection of artifacts at a museum in the UK and spoke the magic words - magic words that I shouldn't share, because they are a part of the central conceit and surprise of the book - I knew that math and magic were going to intertwine in the world I was creating, and my goodness did it ever open up a wide vista.

Read the full interview here.

Check out Napier's Bones.

And if you're in the Saskatoon area, come to the Napier's Bones book launch on April 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment